Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Longshots

With the draft complete,  the Seahawks filled out their  training camp roster with 15 undrafted free agents. I've covered half of them in this post and will do the rest in my next one. Noticeably  absent were any running backs and quarterbacks.. Somewhere, Mike Tiel and  Justin Forsett are breathing a sigh of relief.
So who are these guys? Only a few of them show up in published draft guides, but you never know where you'll find the next stud, undrafted free-agent. Mack Strong was undrafted coming out of college.


Jeff Byers -- 6'3" 290lbs -- Guard -- USC

Pete Carroll has seen a lot of Jeff Byers because both have been at USC for roughly the same amount of time. A lot of people spend more than 6 years in college... doctors... stoners... but Byers spent six because he missed 2005 and 2006 with injuries. He spent the extra time earning a masters degree. 
If there's an illness or injury, Byers has had it: Hernia surgery, hip surgery, back sprain... Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Health appears to be an issue. And just what the hell is "Rocky Mountain spotted fever?" I don't know, but I'm going to presume it's contracted from a rabid chipmunk bite. If the bite of a radioactive spider can give Spiderman his powers, perhaps the Rocky Mountain spotted fever can turn this guy into a super lineman.

Who knows, Byers has some talent. He played as a freshman, which is no small feat at USC. 
As a high schooler, he never allowed a sack, and once recorded 34 pancake blocks in a game. Imagine his opponent in that game? At a time when  we are becoming more aware of the terrible consequences of high school bullying, I see that statistic as just awful. On the other hand, injured or not, Byers sounds like the "dirtbag" Jim Mora Jr. was  talking about last year. Just like with graduation, Byers showed up a little late.

 Reggie Carter -- Linebacker -- UCLA
 Highly rated as a junior, linebacker Reggie Carter lost some of his shine with scouts his senior year. Regardless, he's a tough guy with a chip on his shoulder who loves to hit and has no qualms about playing special teams. I also like it that he has no respect for USC (see photo).
“In high school I was on every special teams. I was long snapper, I was tackling on kickoffs,” Carter explained. “ As a Sophomore (at UCLA), I played with a torn meniscus because I didn’t want to let (his special teams coach) down. As a Junior and Senior I was told that they didn’t want me to get hurt., I love making tackles, so if I can get out there and make one on kickoff that’s even better." (article)
I like Carter. He's a throwback guy who just wants to knock the snot out of opponents and will buy his mom a new house with a rookie contract. SIGN HIM! He may not beome a starter, but I guarantee you won't be seeing him dancing with the stars or hanging out in Hollywood with Matt Leinert.
“I know I know how to play football,” Carter said.. “I’ve been doing it since I was 8. If I can’t tie my shoes I still know I can play football. If I get an opportunity I’ll show everyone.” --(article
James Brindley -- 5'11, 189lb -- Free Safety -- Utah State
He runs a 4.4 in the forty, has a 37-inch vertical, a degree in business finance, and grew up in Grass Valley, California (article). He was first team all-WAC last year and is second all-time at USU in career interception return yardage.









Marcus Brown --6'0" 195lbs -- Cornerback --  Arkansas State

Marcus Brown has just 1 career interception, but he has prototypical size and runs 4.37 in the forty. A star athlete in high school, Brown, allegedly, ran a 4.24 forty in high school (article).

Unrealized potential? I guess we'll see.






Kyle "Care Bear" Burkhart -- 6'5" 290lbs -- Tackle -- Southern Mississippi

If Toby Gerhart was forced to gain 60lbs and switch to offensive line this is what he'd look like. He grew up in Kansas so obviously he's got some post-up moves from his high school basketball days.. I asume he can dunk. He spent some time in community college... but... didn't we all.
I hope he's the second coming of Steve Hutchinson, but if the NFL doesn't work out, I can totally see him going back to his old high school and being the gung-ho gym teacher who looks to mentor a troubled teen who one day makes him proud and breaks his bench-press record. I'm rooting for him and the Seahawks can use all the help they can get along the offensive line.
Patrick Devenny -- 6'3" 240lbs --  Tight End -- Colorado
A former high school quarterback, Devenny had friends who played for Coach Carroll at USC.
"I heard a lot about (Carroll) from (my friend), good things like him being a players' coach . . . he was a guy I admired and always wanted to play for. USC was a little high on the chart for me coming out of high school, but it's weird the way this has worked out," said Devenny.
"All I know is that (Seahawk tight ends) are all really good and I have a lot of respect for them. I knew that my getting drafted was a long shot, but I'd heard before the draft that (Seattle) wanted to see film on me. So I was kind of following what they were doing in the draft. I'm really excited for the opportunity." (article
Kevin Dixon -- 6'2" 257lbs -- Defensive End -- Troy
He's undersized and was kind of an unknown before his senior season, but Dixon came on strong, shows speed, and plays bigger than his size. His photo isn't current, but it still makes me feel better about my middle school yearbook photo. My grill was jacked.








STILL TO COME...
DT DeMarcus Granger Oklahoma 
WR Quintin Hancock Tennessee
FS Will Harris USC
C Adrian Martinez Colorado State
LB Joe Pawelek Baylor
T Jacob Phillips Belhaven (MS)
CB Josh Pinkard USC
DE Rob Rose Ohio State

No comments:

Post a Comment